Monday, March 12, 2012

Let's Go Surfin' Now

Brian had mentioned a few times that he always had wanted to learn how to surf.  When I suggested he take lessons, he always said he didn't want to take away from family time.  I thought he might as well take advantage of living on the water, so I forced his hand by getting him surf lessons for Christmas.  Wise in theory, but I may have created a monster!

We finally had a weekend when nothing else major was going on and the weather was supposed to be good, so I booked him an introductory lesson.  Unfortunately, Will had a birthday party to go to at the exact same time.  I took the boys to the party and Brian left for One Mile Beach.  I had already decided to leave the party a bit early because there was no way I was missing out on watching Brian learn to surf.  The boys were happy enough to go along with the plan.

When I got to the beach I knew I wasn't going to be able to find Brian easily - there were way to many surfers out that day.  I decided to ask a couple of Aussies that were clearly surfers.  They knew exactly where the surf class was because, and I quote, "we like to watch and laugh."  They pointed out the surf class and off we went down the beach.

Nath climbed up on the dunes to watch.  Wills and I went down to the water to try and catch some decent pictures.  Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here you go!

Off to catch a wave



Waiting for the proper time to stand
Made it to standing
And rode it all the way to the shore
So, granted they may tend more towards ripples than waves.  It's more then I want to do!  He didn't make them all in, but apparently only got hit by his board once.  Apparently you're always supposed to bring your arms over your head so your board doesn't knock you out.  Stellar advice, I believe.

Nathan wasn't very happy about Bri surfing, but he tolerated it ok.  In all fairness, he did scream the first time he saw Brian dive into a pool because he was afraid his daddy wouldn't come back up - he was 3ish.  Nath watched under duress, but Wills went right down to the water to cheer on his daddy.


In fact, he was so into Brian surfing that this was the result.


At least he's smiling!

After 2 hours, lots of paddling, and about a gallon of salt water, Bri's lesson was done.  He had a great time and is ready to go again.  I told him I'd get him an intermediary lesson and then he's on his own.  At least I'll have an easy time with ideas for his birthday this year!

1 comment:

  1. Love the stories and pictures in this post! Sounds like an awesome family afternoon! (Steph- from Josh's account)

    ReplyDelete